Sunday, November 08, 2009

Year Numero Dos...

Mid-year is approaching fast and I am in disbelief that I am well-into my second year as a special educator. The year began much more smoothly, as I came up with a stress-free, and hence, better way of arranging service times by way of Post-its. This allowed schedule changes, which happened a lot in the beginning of the year, to be a simple re-positioning of those fantastic sticky-note inventions. Post-its and Expo markers are some of my very favorite, and most-hoarded, office supplies.
I added this picture comparison because look at the left side - that was me at the beginning of last year and then there is this year - I feel like I look way older! It was a stressful first year. I knew the ease that I started the year with would end as soon as SFSU credentialing classes commenced once again. The institution of Level 2's Special Education credentialing proves to be a perpetual thorn in my side; with ever-increasing tuition costs, and a lack of required classes offered. When in one of my two three hour classes after 8 hours of teaching, I fantasize about writing, "These classes are a huge intrusion to the beginning of my teaching career. I would be a better, more sane, teacher without them," on my end of semester evaluation. Rumor has it that SpEd Level Two's will be changing their format to resemble BTSA, which I also have been a part, since I am working on clearing my General Ed credential. I'm hoping and praying that I will have my clear credentials by this next Spring, so that rumor does nothing for me.



Chris is still unemployed, so he's been a great husband and has been taking care of our house more. I come home and everything is done! When he was first out of work, I told one of my fifth graders who said we should have kids now so Chris could stay at home and take care of them. That very student, in whom I poured a lot of effort, never came back this year. Very sad. I was told his father got out of jail and had to be deported. My student was deported with him.

No comments: