Wednesday, May 23, 2007

French women don't what?


Yes, you have read it correctly, the book is entitled, French Women Don't Get Fat and written with wit and wisdom by Mireille Guiliano. I mean, the woman is going into her eighth decade of life, so she has the right to make such outrageous claims. Myself, having lived and visited in Europe a few times, have noticed how I trimmed down at least when traveling in France and Switzerland - so I was intrigued. When friends saw the title they mentioned that of course French women are svelte, they do nothing but smoke and drink coffee. On the contrary, in Guiliano's book she encourages water, not coffee, and wine during dinner. But, this French philosophy of eating, wants the readers to be conscience in every activity, whether it be eating or taking a walk.
If anything, this book is a refreshing read and NOT a do-this and you'll loose weight fast kind of book. It is a memior, cookbook and how-to book all in one read. Skim the chapter on vegetables (she really enjoys her fruits as well) because the whole book is worth a read. She pushes moderation rather then opting for the protein-dominate approach. Also, there were recipes, which I wanted to write about. I tried the baguette recipe, which I will not include here as not to get sued. It was so fun even if I scared Chris out of the kitchen (I was a bit too authoritative for his liking). When Grandma Bates used to visit or when I flew out to Kansas to see her we would bake and bake and bake. So, greasing my hands, removing my rings, and preparing my large cutting board with flour seemed natural. I have to confess, I wished I had my Grandma to help me when the doe was getting too sticky and a little annoying. After all the raising and needing and wrestling with the doe, four flat loaves were achieved. :) Mike was over for dinner (oh yeah, it was the same day we went to see Bjork!) that evening and we all had fresh baked bread with our beans and wieners. All in all, it's a book advising living simply and I am all for that!

No comments: